MA News and Events
August is a high-energy month! There is a general sense to “get it all in” before Labor Day: end of summer road trips and cabin days, preparations to return to the school year, those first days of college life for our Hill-Murray graduates, the State Fair… August can be an exhausting—if not a really fun—month.
Here at the Monastery, we mark our summer days much as we do throughout the year: the Sisters gather for prayer with their guests and retreatants three times a day, they celebrate the Eucharist on Sundays and Feast Days, share meals together, and enjoy the beauty of our monastery grounds.
As we hold August as a gift of time from God, we look forward with great joy to autumn! Mission Advancement is planning and supporting much activity here at the Monastery.
- Our Oblates return to the Monastery for a day of renewal and retreat on September 23. Father Dan Ward leads our Oblates in reflection on the Cosmic Christ. Please pray for our Oblates!
- Blessing of the Animals returns on October 1 at 1:00pm! This ecumenical celebration welcomes our neighbors and peoples of all Christian denominations. Well-mannered (leashed/caged) pet companions are welcome for this brief liturgy of blessing and time of community.
- All Souls Day is always a sacred day here at the Monastery but especially this year. On November 2, we gather for evening praise and then will bless all new commemorative pavers around the statue of St. Benedict. All gathered then will process to the cemetery where we bless the cloud of witnesses who rest here. A reception follows.
- And, it wouldn’t be December without Christmas at the Monastery! Please see our article in this newsletter not only for the full list of events but ways you can support this vital fundraiser for the mission and ministries of our Sisters.
In addition, Mission Advancement invites your participation in empowering and supporting the mission of our Sisters.
- Become a monthly donor through our Sisters Circle giving society. You’ve heard the pitch before: “For the cost of a cup of coffee …” and it’s true! Monthly gifts of all sizes ensure the Monastery’s ability to welcome all as Christ.
- Sponsor an event! Sponsorship gifts of all sizes reduce the cost of events and ensure these events are not only effective fundraisers for the Monastery but more importantly FRIEND-raisers.
- Give to the Max Day is coming up on November 18! Mission Advancement is seeking donors who can assist with matching gifts to encourage and welcome in new donors.
- And, at the end of the year please consider the Sisters and the Benedictine Center with gifts of stock, disbursements from your IRA, or a gift from your donor advised fund.
Every dollar gifted here advances the Benedictine way of life. The Sisters hear every day how much peace people find here at the Monastery. Your support allows the Sisters to widen that welcome and be sure that the wisdom of St. Benedict finds new home in the hearts of all seekers.
Thank you for being a partner in this mission!
St. Benedict and St. Scholastica: pray for us!